Thursday, March 19, 2009

One Month, or: Don't Let An Onion Get You Down

This past Tuesday (St. Patrick's Day!) marked one month since our arrival in Athens. It's really flown by. I haven't been updating the blog as much as I'd like lately--I think partly because we've become so entrenched in the day-to-day here that the idea of sitting down and writing about "life" has become more difficult. It is much easier, when you are on vacation, to write a postcard home with "Hey! I'm having a great time! Saw the acropolis today! Wish you were here!" It's a lot harder to document a month's worth of interactions and experiences.

I also fault myself for not being as open and exposed to Athens as much as I should be. I stay in the safety of our apartment too much, watch too much American TV, read too many online gossip columns, and have developed a rather unhealthy obsession with this seasons' American Idol. I tell Tim that it is because I am just trying to "stay connected to American culture". But the simple truth of the matter is, it is hard living in a new city, with a new language, and a new culture, with only a couple of familiar faces around, thousands and thousands of miles from everything and everyone you know, and it's much easier to hole up and gravitate towards the familiar. Not that I didn't expect this to happen to some degree, and, don't get me wrong--I am really enjoying being here and wouldn't change it for the world--but all of the little difficulties sometimes add up.

This evening I decided to go out to the supermarket. There are little markets in our neighborhood, but they tend to be Broadway Market-style priced (for all of you non-Cantabrigians, that means expen$ive). To get to our Shaw's/Star Market equivalent is a 15 minute walk through the very heart of Athens, Syntagma Square, past the fanciest hotels and down embassy row, through a throng of real people. It was dusk and as I walked I thought how silly I have been every time I get frustrated with our Athenian adventure. It is amazing here! Everything looks beautiful with the moon coming out! The city is pulsing with life and I am a part of that! I feel more confident as I navigate the city streets; I mean, I even know the timing of the crosswalks by now. (The true measure of knowledge of a city, as far as I am concerned.)

And then the comfort of a grocery store. Everything is organized neatly in sections: produce, dairy, frozen, home goods. I know my way around here; I can do this! The store is busy and I pick a checkout line, unloading the contents of my basket on the running belt. The checkout woman picks up my onion. "βάρος?!" she demands. But I don't understand. "Weight! Weight!" she yells. Weight? You mean, I am supposed to weigh my own produce before I get to the checkout line?? And then remember the weight of everything and tell it to you on the spot in line??? I'm sorry--I didn't know. The long line of people waiting behind me starts to glare as I hold everyone up while she gets someone to weigh my onion for me. I am feeling very, very un-Greek right about now. I clumsily bag up my own groceries, bright red, pay up, and head back into the Athenian evening. The walk back is far less enjoyable. I am disappointed in my level of acclimatization, wondering, almost ready to cry, "why is everything so hard?"

I arrive home and Tim helps me put away the groceries. I tell him my onion story, and he pulls it out of the bag: "Nine cents? They should have just given it to you!"

And I laugh like hell.


7 comments:

  1. Don't let it get you down Anna....expereinces like this help you learn!!! Easier said then lived.....wish we could come and visit you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how frustrating - I remember coming across that when we traveled south america - weighing your own produce is a PAIN that's for sure!
    Good luck acclimating - I'm sure time will help:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband, Aris, is laughing hysterically! I am shocked that you have to weigh your own produce. How am I ever going to live in Greece? Aris has never heard of buying only one onion. I'm aghast because you needs dozens of onions; I guess his mom. I'm amazed we ended up together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I ever tell you about the time I ended up sobbing in the soy sauce aisle of my local grocery store in Japan?

    Seriously, when you get back, you'll miss the pressure of everyday experiences like grocery shopping.

    I kept a journal when I moved to Japan:

    http://kaesha.livejournal.com/2004/

    It starts on July 29th. There's a lot (I notice as I scroll through now) of bad writing, but you may recognize the similar experience of culture shock...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha, that's a great one, Anna! It happens to EVERYONE in Europe. You have to weigh fruit & veg here in CZR, too, and I made exactly the same mistake when I first arrived. The checkout chick didn't speak any English - anyway, she certainly didn't know the word for weight or weigh - so she just repeated the czech until by some lucky fate someone in the line shouted out the English! Consider yourself in good company :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is so awesome it has been awarded the "One Lovely Blog Award" by yours truly! (Don't you feel extra special now?) Anyway, to accept your award visit my blog post:

    http://cali2okie.blogspot.com/2009/05/awarded.html

    Congrats! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete