Sunday, February 22, 2009

An evening in Australia?

Last night (Saturday night) Tim and I went with Dreya to the British School of Classical Studies' Carnivale party. The theme of the party was, oddly enough, Australia. (*NB: Tim and I happen to have three Australian parents between us.) Dreya told us we didn't really need to wear costumes or anything, so I must say we were quite surprised to arrive and find a heap of British & American classicists dressed as some wild variations of 'Australia'. Not to mention the decorations, with a life-size paper-towel-roll-and-duct-tape kangaroo greeting us at the door, posters like this one plastering the walls:




...and snacks like these paprika-flavored mini kangaroos.




They even decorated their statues.
(The cork hat is very Australian.)




Unforunately, the low light didn't allow me to get any pictures of the great costumes. The winners of the costume contest included all the members of AC/DC, two 'dingoes' carrying around dead babies and a pavlova. (Half the people there were dressed as convicts--I guess it was too cliche to win any kind of prize.)

Anyway, it was a fun time, if a little weird, having just arrived in Athens, to find ourselves in Oz.

3 comments:

  1. Eww...vegemite. I think Lisa and I discussed this on TK. I ate it and gagged. (I had 3 Aussie roomies at UH).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah - Vegemite is the worst. I think only people who have been raised on it (aka brainwashed since birth into believing it tastes good) can stomach it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys better watch out...there are real Australians reading this blog, ya know! ;)

    ReplyDelete